Abraham, Rachel, Soren and Liam. Our life together in Smalltown, Idaho.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Thank you, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, or, Maybe I like food just a little bit too much

Last Friday, before I went to work, Abraham and I planned our evening date. Dinner, we decided, would be tortas at Los Panchos Panaderia y Taqueria. For those of you who don't know, I am semi-obsessed with Los Pancho's shredded pork tortas. I have been known to awaken in the middle of the night with these delicious sandwiches on my mind. I think about them when the dogs bite, and the bees sting....when I'm feeling sad. When I was pregnant, I ate at least one a week. Needless to say, I was quite excited about the prospect.

When I returned home from work, Abe was hanging out with my 10-year-old niece, Arielle, with whom he shares a mad passion for Sponge Bob Square Pants. The afternoon passed quickly and, about a half an hour before we were supposed to go, Abraham asked me, "So. Are we eating on our date tonight?" I, incredulous, as I had been planning on this event ALL DAY LONG, thinking with longing about the sweet shredded meat, the burn of the jalapenos, the chewiness of the bread, nevertheless answered with patience: "Yes. Yes we are." "OK," replied Abraham.

And then, NOT TWENTY MINUTES LATER, I went downstairs to inform Abraham that it was time to go.

"Go?" he asked, looking up from the television screen.

"Yes," I said. "On our date."

"Oh," he replied, "I forgot." It was then that I noticed that he was snorfling down mass quantities of chocolate chip cookies and milk.

"Are you still going to be hungry for Los Panchos?" I asked.

"Ummm," he said.

And it was then that I realized that all was ruined. That I would not be sharing tortas with my sweetheart on this, the hallowed night of our date. And I began grieving.

1. Denial.
At first I thought that perhaps tortas would still work out for us after all. Surely no one could be so full as to not want to eat a torta as well. It had just been cookies and milk, right? We could still go to Los Panchos. All was not lost. So I swallowed my rebukes as we drove Arielle and Soren over to the Smith's.

2. Anger.
Then, as we began our drive into Idaho Falls, it came out that Abraham had also eaten two sandwiches and was really, truly, not at all hungry.

"How in the WORLD," I stormed, emphasizing the last word of each phrase, "Could you possibly FORGET, in five MINUTES, no LESS -- right after I TOLD YOU -- that we had PLANS for DINNER?"

"I don't know," said Abe, meekly. "I just did."

"You don't KNOW?" I countered. "You JUST DID?"

"Yeah," he said. Then added, foolishly, "I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this."

"You don't know WHY I'm making such a big deal out of this? You DON'T KNOW WHY I'M MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS? How could you be so stupid?"

"Don't say that I'm stupid."

"This is all your mother's fault, you know," I continued.

"Leave my mother out of this."

"Well IT IS," I said. "Letting all of you DISRESPECT food, READING while you ate, silently scarfing down mass quantities of bland things like pancakes and pasta, meal after meal after meal. No WONDER you don't understand the significance of a good meal shared with loved ones."**

"I'm sorry that we were poor," snapped Abraham.

"Poverty has nothing to do with this!" I returned. "And really, this has less to do with your upbringing and more to do with the fact that you were just plain DUMB. How could you be so THICK as to FORGET that we were going to have TORTAS tonight?"

3. Bargaining
"Well, fine!" I finally decided. "I'll just enjoy some delicious Torta goodness while you watch!"

"OK," said Abraham.

But then I contemplated this possibility and it felt very bleak. I imagined us sitting in a corner of the restaurant, the only two gringos, waiting for twenty minutes while the cooks at Los Panchos prepared a lone torta. I imagined eating it while upset and Abraham looked on in silence. I simply couldn't desecrate such a sacred food item with anger.

"Never mind," I said, "I don't want a torta after all."

4. Depression
Instead, I decided to eat a sandwich at Subway. We pulled into the parking lot and Abe, ever kind and patient, asked, "Do you want to go in?"

"No," I told him snottily, "I want to eat it while I'm driving so it's like I'm not even eating anything at all."

Abe sighed. I pulled into the drive through and ordered.

"I'd like a sweet onion teriyaki meal," I told the girl.

"OK," she said, "That'll be $4.15 at the window."

$4.15 was certainly more than the $2.50 torta I had planned on having, but I figured the tall accompanying pink lemonade and bag of baked lays that accompanied my sandwich would somewhat make up for the price difference.

But at the window, I forked over my money and the girl handed me a sandwich, and the window was quickly closed behind it. I waited for a minute. But the "meal" portion of my order never appeared. No lemonade. No baked lays. The girls inside bustled around, ignoring me and my lemonade-less plight outside the window. I thought about pounding on the window and demanding my rights, but I was worried there might be hair pulling and spitting involved, so I finally gave up, drove into a parking spot, put my head on the steering wheel, and silently mourned. Abraham sat nearby, also in silence, though he told me later he was seriously contemplating getting out of the car and running away.

5. Acceptance
After several minutes of silence, I finally forced myself to take a bite out of the sandwich. Then another. Then another. I pulled back onto the highway and we made our way silently down 17th street while I consumed the sandwich in a very black state of mind.

But my blood sugar levels finally climbed back to a normal place, and I started feeling happy enough to sing along with the radio. We arrived at Wal-Mart and began shopping for a new hair cutting kit for Abraham, where I began to feel somewhat sheepish about all that had transpired. Standing in an aisle in Wal-Mart, I told Abe: "I'm sorry. And I didn't mean what I said about your mother."

It took him a minute. A long minute, while he stared long and hard at a hair-blower display.

Then he hugged me.

As we walked off toward the shoe department, I told him, "OK. It's time for you to say sorry too."

He sighed.

**It should be noted here that I (1) Frequently read while eating and (2) Enjoy mass quantities of plain foods, such as pancakes, pasta, etc. Also, I love my mother-in-law.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

I understand Rachel. I had a similar experience the night I was supposed to get engaged. Now when you can forgive a man for something like your experience or mine - THAT'S love.

Rachel said...

Ginger, I'm kind of intrigued. Please elaborate.

Margaret said...

Rachel, how did you find my blog? It was so FABULOUS to hear from you! (Y'all left in such a hurry from Wymount!) Your baby is precious, and he's only about a month older than mine. You'll have to email me and we can swap labor horror stories. :) If you still have an email for me, it still works.
SO excited to read your blog!

Lindy said...

This is hilarious. And so familiar a struggle of the blood sugar impaired. I am truly sorry for the loss of your torta.

Anonymous said...

Rachel: I'm not wanting to make you self-conscious about your posts, but I just have to say: The writing on this is SO GOOD. This entry especially alerted me to that. I can't quite put my finger on why this entry, over all the rest, so struck me... maybe the repetition of "Abe sighed"
alerted me to the fact I was reading something with structure, pacing, a humorous pay-off. And! I was drawn in, as in a short story, to that delightful mother-in-law stuff-- the circular married arguments, the certainty that YOUR family is the one that's crazy-- such juicy relatable material. I know it's your own, real-life voice and experiences, but the conflict stuff in the "tortas" narrative evoked a particular character, a particular life experience... very engaging... especially because, who among us does not have an opinion about food? I could imagine bonding with this girl, whose husband's family is so crazy in their starch eating...
I'm reminding myself I have "bonded" with this person, in real life... But the writing felt so real, I could have sworn I was reading fiction!
I must be addicted to lit, that "characters" feel more real to me than people.
Anyway, I was struck in that familiar, but-not-to-be-taken-for-granted, pleasurable-sensation-while-reading way: This here is GOOD.

Karen said...

I was laughing so hard at this story. I could just picture cute Rachel on her rant (which was, by the way, partly justified). I hope you finally got your well deserved torta :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...