Abraham, Rachel, Soren and Liam. Our life together in Smalltown, Idaho.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Soren's first cookie.

My Uncle Dewey had a tragic event occur earlier this week: his remote control died. This was something that simply could not be tolerated, as Dewey's day centers around his visit from the girl who brings him his Meals on Wheels-- and whatever's showing on Turner Classic Movies. He showed up on my doorstep Monday looking forlorn and lost. "I know something better's on a hundred channels away, but it's too hard to get up and find out what it is," he told me. So on the way home from work yesterday, I stopped at Wal-Mart to find him a replacement.

Soren and I walked across the street to Dewey's house to set up the new remote, where we discovered there were no batteries to make it run. I told Dewey we would get some from home and return shortly, but Dewey, who recently held Soren for the first time, declared that "Bill" (he can't remember Soren's real name) was "too fat" for me to carry across the street and back. He said, "I'll hold him while you're gone." Soren and I visit frequently, and Soren feels fairly comfortable with this loud, bearded, smelly old man, and I decided it would be all right to leave him there for a minute. I plopped him on Dewey's lap, kissed him multiple times, promised I'd be back soon. I ran home and when I returned was relieved to find Soren happily reclining on Dewey's lap.

"Oh good," I said. "He's looking quite content."

"Bill likes cookies," Dewey replied.

I laughed.

Then I got nervous.

And, upon further inspection, I discovered that, surely enough, Soren was gnawing on a pink sugar wafer.

The cookie was taken away, Soren cried, and Dewey was chastised for irresponsible behavior.

"The cookie felt good on his gums," Dewey countered.

I couldn't really say much about that. He would know: he doesn't have teeth either.

I think Soren won't be spending much more alone time with his Great Uncle.

4 comments:

Nick Wheeler said...

I love this picture of Uncle Dewey. Classic expression.

Unknown said...

I have a sneaking suspicion Dewey lured you away from the house just so he could feed Soren a cookie. At least it was a sugar wafer, which will dissolve upon much sucking and gnawing, and not a choclate macadamia nut cookie which could have caused some serious damage.

Jamie and Michael said...

Oh man! That was a laughing out loud and making my husband look at me funny kind of story! And the picture is classic-- it looks like something you'd have to get from Getty images, not someone's actual uncle. It's freaking awesome! By the way, my dad prides himself in being the first to give a baby ice cream-- we're talking WEEKS old here. And he's not even old and crazy yet. (P.S. If you're wondering why I'm posting now, it's because I'm possibly in labor and can no longer sleep for excitement. If it is labor though, it's awfully slow.)

Karen said...

Lol...Good Old Uncle Dewey. I love that he took it upon himself to rename all of the grandchildren (as he so proudly announced to me on St. Patrick's Day weekend). Although I have to admit, Bill is a great name for Soren.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...