Abraham, Rachel, Soren and Liam. Our life together in Smalltown, Idaho.

Monday, July 09, 2007

He'll probably cry 'imself to sleep on his 'uge pillo'.


Soren had his 6 month checkup today. He weighs 20 lbs, 12 ounces (90th percentile); measures 28 inches tall (95th percentile); and has a head so big (18 1/2 inches) it doesn't even have a percentile. He's perfectly healthy, though I did receive a rather stern lecture from the doctor about how I need to let him cry it out at night. (No, I haven't worked up the guts to do this yet, but I will. We've got Girls Camp this week, but after that, by gum, he's going to be sleep trained come heck or high water!)

Other news posts:

The case of the black squiggly diaper: solved.
On Sunday, Soren woke up with a very strange diaper indeed. Swimming in his usual slew of peanut-buttery substance were a herd of black squigglies. It looked like he had a serious worm problem. I saved the diaper. That morning over breakfast I asked Mom about it. She glared suspiciously at Soren's "Bert" doll and said, "Maybe he's been eating Bert's hair." When Abe got up, I made him take a look. "I don't think it's worms," he said. "But I'm not sure what it is." When my sister, Collette, came over for dinner that afternoon, I had her take a look. "Banana diaper," she declared authoritatively. I mentioned it to the doctor today and he agreed with her prognosis.

Many new purchases made by the Skousen family.
We've gone kind of hogwild crazy in the money spending arena lately. It started a few weeks ago when we ordered Soren a doorway jumper and a food grinder from Toys-R-Us. These both proved to be good investments. Soren's happily bouncing and squealing in his doorway jumper as I write this. The food grinder has made it possible for me to share all manner of grown-up food with him at meal times, something he finds most satisfying.

Then Abe and I went shopping on one of his days off and ended up purchasing an umbrella stroller (for occasions when we don't want to haul around the hulking travel system stroller) for Soren, a couple of shirts for Abe, and two pairs of shoes for me.

On Saturday I was connived into a garage sale-ing expedition with my sister, where I ended up acquired a few new toys for the little guy (3 good toys for a total of 45 cents); an 18-volume "Childcraft" set, which I've been wanting for years; a never-worn size 2T snowsuit for $1.00; and a complete potty training set (including unused potty chair and Potty Training Elmo doll) for $5.00. I also bought some shoes for $5.00, a purchase I have come to regret, as $5.00 now seems exorbitant to me for a pair of used shoes. But you know.

So anyway, I've been feeling rich in things and poor in money, so I'm going to try and take a bit of a purchasing sabbatical for a while.

Two women attacked by gigantic horseflies on Sunday stroll.
Collette and I have a weekly Sabbath-day tradition of taking what we refer to as a "Giggawalk," a three mile stroll in which we gossip, vent, chat, and otherwise share some giggles. This week we encountered an enormous herd of mean biting flies that cut our walk short. We must have looked very bizarre to anyone watching from afar: two grown women running several yards, arms flailing wildly around heads and bodies, who would periodically stop and take turns whacking each other's heads, backs, and legs, only to resume running again.

There were other things I was going to write about, namely, our Fourth of July celebration, but it was mostly unmemorable and I'm ready to go zonk out now. After all, it is nearly 7:30 pm.

5 comments:

Nick Wheeler said...

Don't worry, I have a big head, too, and I have emerged unscathed. Great post... I didn't know you and Collette had that tradition. Do you do it in the Winter too?

Unknown said...

Oscar had a very disturbing poop moment as well yesterday on our walk. He had eaten a large amount of string and was unable to get it ALL the way out of his bum. He his in shame in the bushes while the other dogs stared at him. I also was attacked by horseflies and had the same fear that someone would spot me fleeing from them, swatting my self on the arms and face like a crazed lunatic. Bug spray will be purchased today at Wal-Mart.

karla said...

Good work on the yard sale and good luck with the sleep training - let us know how it goes!

Also, I didn't know that mean biting flies swarm...hopefully my father won't be ashamed at my lack of understanding of the order Diptera. :)

Lindsay said...

Rachel! I saw your name on Ginger's blog and I was thrilled to realize that you, too, are still alive! I enjoyed reading some of your posts. Your little Soren is adorable. A belated congratulations is in order. What are you guys doing in Idaho? Email me if you have a minute...miller.lindsay@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

You make Collette look at day-old diapers? And she's an Authority on the contents?
So much I never knew.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...