Abraham, Rachel, Soren and Liam. Our life together in Smalltown, Idaho.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Book Journal

Rebekah
By Orson Scott Card

















I always enjoy Orson Scott Card, and this book was no exception.  It added a lot of flesh to a familiar Bible story, breathing life into the characters and making them real, tangible, and accessible.  

Cry the Beloved Country
by Alan Paton


Beautiful.  Along the lines of Grapes of Wrath.  A simple, sweet story about change, about faith, about despair, growth, love, redemption.  It made me feel safe, giving me a sense that while life can hurt, it can also be beautiful.  That there is always hope, even in the darkest of despair.    

Mistborn
by Brandon Sanderson

I have such admiration for Brandon Sanderson-- he can not only create a cast of believable characters, but a whole world with its own geography, history, and political and social structures.  I seriously loved Elantris, which (along with the recommendation of my friend, Andrew) is why I picked up Mistborn, the first book in  series.  And I enjoyed Mistborn.  Good characters, interesting ideas, good plot shaping.  I did feel like it could have used a little more editing, as some of the fighting/allomancy scenes ran a bit long and detaily, but overall it was a good read.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...