Abraham, Rachel, Soren and Liam. Our life together in Smalltown, Idaho.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Biting Baby

I know I'm having a bit of a posting binge, but I've got one more thing: do any of your mothers out there have some wisdom about teaching a baby not to bite? My little one seems to find biting to be quite a delightful activity. He'll bite anything: a hand, a leg, a neck, you name it. At first I tried yelping, then I tried giving a little spank, then I tried looking at him sternly and saying, "No." He found all of these responses amusing and thought that we were playing a little game. So then I tried setting him down of the floor away from me, but he didn't seem to notice that it was a punishment. These days I mostly just detach him as quickly as possible and tell him in a very calm voice, "Don't bite. It's not nice." But the biting persists. Any ideas?

4 comments:

breckster said...

When Reuben was biting I would pinch his nose, so he would have to stop biting to breath. (He liked to bite and hold on for dear life.) It turned out to be a phase. I couldn't really get him to stop biting, until he just stopped. I'm glad he stopped, he drew blood when he bit my big toe once.

When he turned one we started time out. A minute for how old he was, tell him it was time out, put him in the room shut the door, listen to him cry, then open the door and give a big hug and say, "You got a time out because you..." Give another big hug and say "please don't do ... again." This has done wonders, no more broken plates, he rarely hits, he hasn't thrown a picture frame in ages. And now when I see his little brain making a plan that is going to cause trouble I say, "if you do that you will get a time out." he looks at me, then runs off to do something else.

Nick Wheeler said...

I have no idea how to cure a biting baby, but I was excited to see 5 POSTS on my Google Reader. I'm glad you've found peace with NaNoWriMo. Good for you. loved the writing excerpt, too. You rock my socks.

karla said...

Sorry, no baby biting advice, but I tagged you on my blog - go see the post for details. :)

Amanda said...

Hey I found your blog on Laura Sparks' blog. I don't really know what to do about biting babies. I just wanted to say hi.

Amanda Pendley

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...