In light of recent excessive whining and tantrums, I (the mother of this household) am instituting the following rules, effective tomorrow, November 23, 2012:
1. If you can do it yourself, do it yourself.
2. When Mommy comes home, she and Daddy get to spend a few minutes relaxing and spending time together. Kids stay in another room. Do not disturb Mommy and Daddy unless the house is on fire or someone is bleeding or choking or otherwise in imminent danger.
3. Kids have to do the following each day: brush hair and teeth, pick up room, complete homework, complete one chore. There will be no having of fun until these items have been completed.
4. TV/Computer time is limited to 1 hour per day.
5. Mommy is not the entertainment committee. Kids figure out how to entertain themselves. If Mommy is doing something-- even if that something is holding very still or reading a book--she doesn’t need to be disturbed.
6. Whining, badgering, and tantrums are not tolerated. They will be counted mercilessly. They can be carried out in the privacy of one’s bedroom.
7. The cleaning up of all messes, including messy underpants, is the responsibility of the mess' maker.
**Mommy and Daddy’s responsibilities: keep kids safe, teach independence, ensure good hygiene, provide healthy, regular meals, enforce 8 PM bedtime, read to, talk with, cuddle, and love kids.
**Mommy and Daddy’s responsibilities do not include: providing constant entertainment, being a playmate, performing slave labor, etc.